Sunday, February 10, 2013

Literacy Centers

Currently in looking over my students work, I have noticed that they have a difficulty with their blends. Overall it seems like they have a difficulty sounding them out and decoding them as well as hearing them and encoding them. A literacy center that I think would help be beneficial to the classroom would be to have a listening and writing center to hear and write down different types of blends as well as a wide variety of the different words that have those blends. I think it helps for students to hear them so they can become familiar with the sounds.

1 comment:

  1. I was JUST able to get writing samples today, and therefore am now writing a post about my students' spelling. Most of my students are in the middle or close to the end of the letter name-alphabetic stage. A lot of them use the correct letters for the beginning and last letter of the word, but I have noticed that a good amount of the students mix up the letters in the middle of words. There is often a vowel placed in the middle of words, although it is not always the correct vowel for the word. For instance, one of my writing samples says, "begening" instead of "beginning." Some students are a lot better than their peers at spelling, however overall my second graders should be at a higher level especially since there are some eight, nine and ten year olds in my class. In order to improve students' spelling I would create a literacy center using their weekly vocabulary words. I would have students first write simple sentences using the list of spelling words that I would read aloud to them along with the definitions. Then, after letting the students look over and study the words I would have them correct their spelling errors from their first attempt. This would help the students to recognize their own spelling mistakes and hopefully will prevent them from making the same mistakes twice!

    ReplyDelete