Monday, March 18, 2013

March 18 New Lit Post-Kassab

My Understanding of literacy has changed since the beginning of the class because I did not realize that there are so many different types of literacy that need to be covered. All of them are so important to implement into your curriculum as a teacher because they affect a lot of apects inside and outside of the classroom that are significant to the student as a whole. The research on the new literacy and digital literacy informs my thinking because it makes you think openly about literacy and there are so many options and ways to incorporate it into your classroom. I learned a lot about different technologies that I previously didn’t know like aspects of certain websites or even learning completely new technologies that I have never even heard of. It is important to be able to recognize these different types of technologies because how advanced classrooms are becoming in the upcoming generations. Technology is a large part of it, and I was not well informed about a lot of these unique websites before that I would now consider using in my own classroom. My growth of what I understood and literacy and what I understand it as now has been significant. I normally thought of literacy as straight forward but there are so many levels and types of literacy that need to be taught and learned. They are also so important to ESL students to understand too. I see this as incorporating all of the literacies into one big idea of discussions. It seemed like a pretty common theme throughout and now I can see the importance of a good effective discussion.
Providing effective literacy instruction to diverse learners means to cover all areas of literacy, from reading, phonology, writing, encoding and decoding as well as comprehension. I think it is so important to provide a wide variety of literacy instruction so it is unique to all students because not one student is alike. I now know there is so much more to cover than in traditional literacies since we have the option of all types of technologies to help us provide students with. The skills expected for my students at my field placement grade level they should be able to: demonstrate and understand key details in text, recount stories from diverse cultures to determine a central theme, describe structure of a story, acknowledge different points of view from different characters, and overall by the end of the year read and comprehend literature as well as write opinions, informative/ explanatory texts, write narratives, revise and edit, use a variety of different digital tools to write and publish, and research and writing projects. There are so many different things that students need to be able to do in order to develop their digital literacy, for example just for starting knowing how to properly use a computer or a technology as well as the given program to get the full advantage from the technology. The support they need is proper instruction. Making sure the students are able to follow along and keep up with the given technology is important. For my new literacy of emotional literacy students need to know and understand what emotions are and which types go with what types of feelings. I think it is pretty straight forward, but students need to know how to properly describe and deal with the types of feelings they are having. The support they need would be to know that certain feelings are okay to have. There is no right or wrong feeling and students need to know this because sometimes they feel like it isn’t right to feel something like sadness. To provide this support I think that there are many different lessons and activities that could be done to show certain emotions and know how to properly express those feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment