Thursday, April 18, 2013

Peel Reading Lesson Overview

For a majority of this semester I have been doing a special reading program with 6 particular students that have the lowest reading levels of the class. Through this program, we divide them up into two groups and work individually with the groups for a half hour each everyday with the hopes of improving their reading skills all around.

With this being said, for my reading lessons I've decided I wanted to focus on 4 of these 6 students. With one group of 2  I would like to work on their phonemic awareness (chapter 5) and with the other group of 2 I would like to focus on their comprehension.

For the first group of students, I will refer to as Mat and Lisa, I know it's appropriate if I work on 'fluency' with them because as I observed them the past couple of weeks I've noticed they have difficulty breaking apart words, looking for patterns, identifying letter sequences, and identifying sounds in words.I have come up with some hand gestures to help them improve their phonemic awareness and I am hoping by using these gestures repetitively with the students that it will help build their phonemic knowledge. 
Vowel strategy sounds that I know they have difficulty with:
"u"- Umbrella, act like your lifting up and opening up an umbrella using hands
"i"- Run finger up throat and dot nose (formation of an i)
"o"-circular motion around mouth using finger
"ou"-OUch, Pinch arm while saying "OUch"

For the second group of kids, I will refer to as Julie and Cameron, I've decided to work on their comprehension skills (Stahl and Nuefeld). When these students were given their DRA they struggling with retelling events or main ideas that happened in the story. I've now realized when we work together in groups this is something we haven't been doing very often. It's almost as if the students seem to just be focusing on the words they are reading, rather than what the story entails.

No comments:

Post a Comment