Sunday, April 14, 2013

Letter to parents

To the guardians of Cheyenne,

        I have been observing Cheyenne's reading lately and I have noticed some situations that need to be addressed with her performance and I have a solution. First of all, I've noticed a large struggle in her fluency, as she has a tendency to omit or substitute a lot of words while reading. Also when it comes to her decoding skills, I have noticed she struggles to identify multisyllabic words and consonant and vowel sounds. She has progressed a lot when it comes to her comprehension as I've noticed her being able to retell evens that happened during our reading and she has successfully been answering the follow-up questions I've been asking. Also, I would like to add I like how she uses a lot of expression while reading; she can differentiate between an exclamation point, question mark, and period, which is great!
       With all of this being said, I was wondering if you would allow me to place her into our literacy group that meets every day during reading time for 30 minutes?  Right now there is 7 students, divided into a group of 3 and a group of 4 that meet separately. During this half hour time period we focus and work on all off the topics (issues for Cheyenne) that I listed above. We read at least three books together each week, based on their reading levels, and we use these books as references to improve our skills. To improve her fluency this would help because the students first read the book separately, before reading it aloud. This literacy group would also help improve her decoding skills because removing prefixes and suffixes from words of the books we're reading is a very common exercise we do together. For vowels, I have come up with several different hand motions, sayings, phonic games, etc, to help remember vowel sounds. The nice thing about this group is that it is small, meaning the students get my undivided attention to help their needs. This is also nice because the students in their groups are at the same level, so therefore the students are all struggling with relatively the same concepts of reading. I am able to focus strictly on them to help them improve, and thus far it has been working out great. Let me know what you think!

Thank you,

Ms. Peel 

1 comment:

  1. From this lesson I would now know that my child struggles with her reading fluency which is ultimately harming her in other areas such as vowels and making sense of certain types of words. I see that there can be soutions to these types of things that can benefit my child. Through working extra time a day during reading time these things can be done. The only question that I have is how much one on one time would my child have? This would be a good start to development progress and his/her needs to be met.

    ReplyDelete